Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Faith Into Action








By Neil Schori

Over the last few weeks, I've had some incredible opportunities to put my faith into action.  Two of my greatest passions came to fruition in an interview with WGN about serving abused women with the Evidentiary Abuse Affidavit, then leaving for Haiti a day later to offer hope to the poorest people in the Western Hemisphere.  These things bring me a lot of life.  I could not be more grateful!

When I help people, I'm always helping myself in the process.  Do you know why?  Because when I help others, I'm reminded of what is truly important.  I get distracted by what is important each day.  Money, cars, well-manicured suburban yards---all of those things and more get in the way of the things that are the most important.  And when I serve the needs of others, it helps me to put a different lens into my near-sighted frames and I start seeing and living purpose again.  And THAT is a sweet spot.

What is it that motivates me to serve?  A man in the Bible named Paul of Tarsus wrote this in the book of 2nd Corinthians 8: 8,9

8 I am not commanding you, but I want to test the sincerity of your love by comparing it with the earnestness of others. 9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.

What Paul was saying was that Jesus modeled what true service looks like.  Jesus had everything but chose to become nothing so that we could have everything.  Jesus gave up the riches of Heaven so that we could be forgiven.  Jesus served us first.  Now, I serve to honor him.

Why do you serve?  Maybe it is because it makes you feel good.  Or because you want to do your good deed for the day.  Those are fine reasons, but I don't believe either of those reasons will keep you serving for more than a very short time.  Why?  Because feelings are fleeting.  But when your service is based on the truth of God's love for you, your serving tank will not run dry.

Serving with Gratitude,

Neil



Neil Schori serves as lead pastor of Naperville Christian Church, and is a remarkable advocate for those in abusive relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be added shortly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

The opinions and information expressed in the individual posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions of each contributor of "Time's Up!" nor the opinion of the blog owner and administrator. The comments are the opinion and property of the individuals who leave them on the posts and do not express the opinion of the authors, contributors or the blog owner and administrator.