Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Land of Never Enough


By Neil Schori


I don't know about you, but I never seem to have enough.  Most of my months have a few days left in them when my paycheck ends.  My house feels like a zoo at least half of the time because I've got 5 people under a roof made for 2.  Sometimes when I look around these affluent suburbs, I can convince myself that I'm the only person around here that isn't a CEO of a Fortune 500 company.  Never enough.  Can you relate to any of this?

But when I slow down, I become aware that the truth is really different than my lying perception and my fickle heart.  I'm getting ready to leave for Haiti in a few days to serve some of the world's poorest people and then two days after I return, I'll be with my family celebrating Thanksgiving.  I need this desperately.  Both of these events will be such beautiful reality-checks for me and keep me grateful for what I do have in the land of "never enough." 

Right now, I want to tell you about two things that make my heart nearly burst with joy.  The first is you.  I'm deeply honored to journey alongside all of you passionate seekers of justice for victims of domestic violence.  

Without all of you, the journey would not have the same meaning.  Why?  Because we were made for relationship.  We were never meant to walk this road in isolation.  Just ask any victim of domestic violence what her perpetrator's main tool was and you'll discover quickly that she was forced out of all of her meaningful relationships so that her abuser could in effect control her every move.  Isolation breeds confusion and fear.  Relationships bring the truth to light.

I'm also incredibly thankful for my DNA.  I'm not talking about my parents here, but I am thankful for them too.  The genetics I'm talking about are more enduring than an earthly blood-line.  I'm an advocate for the abused and oppressed because I have a Savior that has shown me the Way.  

Over 2,000 years ago, Jesus came down to Earth.  He lived a perfect life even while dealing with all of the things that make me angry and cynical and at times completely unpleasant to be around.  He showed me that I don't have to fight for my own way.  I no longer have to "look out for #1."  He showed me that real life...not the "life" that comes from the land of "never enough," but the kind of life that makes you know why you were made to be in this world...comes from selfless service and sacrificial love.  He showed me that selflessness always trumps self-serving.  And this Jesus died for my sins so that I could be forgiven of all the wrong that I've ever done.  I'm an advocate because Jesus was my Advocate first.

Take some time to slow down over the next couple of months in between your over-eating and Black Friday shopping, and think about those things that make you truly grateful.  I would bet that not one thing on your list can be bought.  Tonight, while I'm engulfed in the artificial light of this computer monitor, I'm thankful for the real light you fighters for justice have brought to my life.  And I'm profoundly aware of the God who loves me and called me to real life and such meaningful work.

With a Grateful Heart,

Neil 


Editor's note:  Neil is now in Haiti.  You can follow him on Twitter ( @neilschori ) or leave a comment here on the blog, I'm sure he will appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be added shortly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

The opinions and information expressed in the individual posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions of each contributor of "Time's Up!" nor the opinion of the blog owner and administrator. The comments are the opinion and property of the individuals who leave them on the posts and do not express the opinion of the authors, contributors or the blog owner and administrator.