Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Trust In Your Journey


By Charles Moncrief

When I first heard of this project, I was overjoyed to learn of the caring spirit behind the creators. While I'm saddened at the necessity for such a site as this, I'll encourage everyone to apply its principles to the fullest. And let me start by encouraging myself not to dwell on the site's necessity, but rather on its potential. How easy it is to be overwhelmed by the problem that we paralyze ourselves and never work toward the solution.

When I scrolled down the list of contributing writers, I was impressed with their experience, talent, and compassion for the hurting. It is indeed a compliment to be listed among them.

Since I'm a relative unknown contributor, allow me to introduce myself. I'm an Anglican Priest, married to Ruth. By the grace of God this marriage will be a lifetime union. I married up. We have no children. The thrust of my ministry has been that of a chaplain rather than a pastor who runs the shop with a congregation.

I'm painfully aware of the public's deference toward an ordained minister. While wearing my collar, I've been allowed unquestioned access through many doors. Some are literal, such as to a hospital's intensive care unit. Others are figurative, as total strangers have shared with me the intimate secrets they denied to their spouses and even to their own pastors.

I'm writing this, not to belabor any point, but to acknowledge the magnitude of this trust and the great pain associated with its betrayal. Some who read posts on this site know what I'm talking about. In the domestic violence cycle one of the key players is often a pastor whose advice has been more hurtful than helpful.

I accept your hesitation to trust me. My prayer is that I will prove worthy of the trust you are willing to extend. It's not about me. It's about you. And it's about your relationship to God. As a chaplain I've been a pastor to many non-Christians, and I'll be likewise sensitive to this site's goals. I will quote Scripture where I feel it's relevant for encouragement, but not to evangelize.

All of this being said, I'd like to paraphrase a post I read on a social network site today. Even the most pained, depressed, and deeply hurting have more hope than can be expressed. I'll refer to Romans 8:28, which says "...we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."


Whatever your specific purpose may be, my immediate purpose is to encourage you to find the good that lies ahead for you. Blessings to each of you on your journey.


Charles+
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be added shortly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

The opinions and information expressed in the individual posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions of each contributor of "Time's Up!" nor the opinion of the blog owner and administrator. The comments are the opinion and property of the individuals who leave them on the posts and do not express the opinion of the authors, contributors or the blog owner and administrator.